I suspect this will be the easiest chocolate cake you’ll ever make. And it’s always a huge hit. It’s the sort of easy dessert that is perfect for summer (and entertaining!) because you don’t need to heat your oven. I think of it as a no bake chocolate cake, you wouldn’t be far off calling it a slice-able truffle. Or, imagine an espresso-spiked, velvety, chocolate mousse you were able to cut into beautiful wedges. Sounds incredible, right? If you have ten minutes, some dark chocolate, cream, and something to infuse the cream with, you’re in business. I also have some non-dairy variations as well.
If you want to avoid heavy cream, there are a number of substitutions that work well. I love using cashew cream in place of the heavy cream called for in the recipe. Make cashew cream by combining 1 part cashew nuts + 1 part water and process in a high speed blender until silky smooth. No need to strain. Coconut milk also works nicely as a substitution.
No Bake Chocolate Cake
- butter, to grease pan
- 8 ounces / 225 g 70% chocolate, well chopped
- 8 ounces / 225 g heavy cream, cashew cream, or full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 2 teaspoons finely ground espresso (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain salt
- cocoa powder, to serve
- optional other toppings: rose petals, cacao nibs